Friday, April 10, 2009

Faces of Istanbul


This morning I went off on my own while Robert was trying to get the car situation sewn up. Turns out we may be delayed until Monday, as he has decided to purchase a vehicle rather than 'borrow' the Yaris. The purchase will take another business day to complete, and that means waiting in Istanbul over the weekend. At least it is full of interesting sights and people! So, I went off early in search of faces, and here are a few. This first fellow was very friendly (as most Turks are). He helped me with my Turkish, made pleasant conversation (even though I understood very little), and let me photograph him. He gave me his email address so I could send him a copy of the final image!


This woman was sitting outside a little snack shop, as if she were the proprietress. She wasn't. The shopkeeper had stepped away, so I showed her the price of the item I wanted to purchase and gave her the coins. She accepted them and let me take her photo. I doubted I would be able to get an email address from her, so I just showed her the photo on the camera's LCD screen. She laughed!


This burly fisherman seemed to be very proud that my camera was pointed his way. His buddies were encouraging him to ham it up! Wish I could have snagged his email address!


Finally, tourists are discouraged from taking photographs of people worshipping in mosques. Plus, the women usually pray behind screens or in upstairs galleries - well out of sight. I lucked out with this photo. She wasn't in a mosque and she wasn't praying. A moment earlier she had been in an animated conversation with a girlfriend and had momentarily looked down. Perfect! I got the shot!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so much is going on in my little world that I didn't realize you were over there until I saw Istanbul on MY blog!

    How beautiful it looks there and what a cutie that fisherman is :). Definitely shoulda got HIS number.

    Kim your pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I didn't realize you had yet another talent!! have fun and I'll be keepin my eye's on your progress.

    ReplyDelete